Information collection and privacy protection
CIA Victoria makes every effort to adhere to the Guidelines for Businesses developed by the Australian Privacy Commissioner. In particular CIA Victoria seeks to comply with Information Privacy Principles (see Glossary below) 1 to 3 and 10 and 11 of the Privacy Act 1988 (a copy of the Act is available at SCALEplus the legal information retrieval system owned by the Australian Attorney General’s Department at http://scaleplus.law.gov.au ).
This page explains the type of information that is collected by CIA Victoria, how such information is used, and under what circumstances and to whom it may be disclosed.
Your email address
CIA Victoria will only record your email address in the event that you send a message by email or if you register requesting to become a member to its newsletters. Your email address will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and CIA Victoria will not use or disclose your email address for any other purpose, without your prior written consent.
Clickstream data and cookies
When visiting this website CIA Victoria's site server makes a record of the visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
- the user’s server address – this allows us to consider the visitors who use the site most, and tailor the site to their interests and needs;
- the user’s operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc.) – this allows us to tailor browser or platform specific parts of the site to each operating system because browsers act differently on each platform;
- the user’s top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au etc.) – this can allow us to tailor information relevant to different domains;
- the date and time of the visit to the site – this is important for identifying the website’s busy times and ensuring maintenance on the site is conducted outside these periods;
- pages accessed and documents downloaded – this indicates to us which pages or documents are most important to our users and also helps identify important information that may be difficult to find;
- duration of the visit – this indicates to us how interesting and informative our site is to our users;
- geographic location – this shows us how well marketed our site is internationally;
- the site visited before the CIA Victoria website – this helps us determine the interests of our users and which sites are providing links to ours as well as sites where we may be able to seek links;
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities unless legally compelled to do so, such as in the event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the Internet Service Provider’s log files.
This site contains links to other sites. CIA Victoria is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. CIA Victoria has no knowledge if cookies or other tracking devices are used on linked websites.
Need further information?
You can also obtain further information from the Privacy Commissioner’s web site, www.privacy.gov.au, or by telephone on +61 1300 363 992.